Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Asteroids Galaxy Tour


Expectations are intricately intertwined with experience.  For example, even if I attempt to keep my mind blank before a show, it is inevitable that thoughts begin to brew about what the concert will reveal. Often times I tend to forget this pre-concert ritual. For, the show, more often than not, takes me away, if not in the exact way that I had expected, on a parallel plane.
When I saw The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, however, my vague ideas about what the show was going to be and what it actually turned out to be were so different, that it struck a chord within me.


Sitting on the floor of my room on the afternoon of the show, I couldn’t help but move my body to the sounds of Asteroid’s eclectic Danish pop music as it overflowed from my speakers. Picture this: if my life were a television show, this would be the moment when the camera would zoom in on my serene and happy face as the sweet sounds of a harp played and the scene faded into a fantasy. In this daydream, I was jumping around in a sea of my peers, young and beautiful, clad completely in sequins and stars.

That is not how it went down. As soon as we arrived it was evident that we were the youngest people there. We stood, surrounded by well-dressed, hipper than hip 25-30 year olds, calmly waiting for the show to begin. We were jittery. My mind was having difficulty processing this: people aren’t piled on top of each other? What? No pushing for a spot up front? Seriously? It was nothing that I expected. It wasn’t crazy, but it was beautiful.
It was just a sexy, soulful starlet and her gang of groovy dudes, jamming. No one was dancing on top of each other, but no one was standing still. Everyone was enthralled in the music and no one was overly enthralled in his or her vices. It was a short, sweet and energetic show. It was perfect and it was nothing that I had expected

Lead Singer Mette Lindberg: Isn't she awesome?
2011

No comments:

Post a Comment