Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Uncle John is Swimming

As anniversaries approach, 
serious sentiments emerge
from the unkempt places in our minds. 
Let them...

Uncle John is Swimming

I am underwater.
and the whole world is silent
except the beating of my heart
and the whispers of my thoughts.
A sea of sadness,
A sea of strangers
to everyone but the deceased.
Oh, but the wise know one comes for the living,
so they are displaced
from a family displaced.
My breath is staccato.
Between the notes my heart skips a beat
so loud that it vibrates the wrinkles-
of an aged father.
My head is underwater.
Alas, the receding world is silent
until-a wave of sadness hits me like a load of concrete blocks
escaping from the back of a truck.
New Jersey fears,
nightmares.
Ode to the highway,
the passed away,
and the far away.
Ode to the resting place.
Ode to his resting place.
To dirty water tears
in sewage drains,
gifts to the deranged displaced.
To crumbling bodies
held together by crumbling souls.
I’m crying now with my eyes sewn shut
and all that’s released is steam
from the heavy heat that is my thoughts.
A valley of volcanoes –
beneath a coral reef.
Floral Wreaths
line the coffin,
a funeral of mass proportions,
broken vindications,
the faucet needs fixin’.
But the hands of the man of the house
have turned to dust,
the pipes rust.
The bathroom is underwater.
A family underwater
We are all underwater
And he is underground.

No comments:

Post a Comment