Monday, April 1, 2013

Science


When a Scientist is a poet as well,
The whole world stops at his feet.
I found an atom under a book of stories about boisterous men
And then I remembered that it wasn’t really there
I didn’t really find it
And I don’t belong here.
Yes, I don’t belong here like my shoes don’t belong on my feet
Because I stole them from the bowling alley down the street
And they have a warrant out for my arrest
A gift card and two sticks of bubble-gum
If I chew it up nice and thick
Maybe I can make a covalent bond out of the tiny bits of paper
I’ve been thumbing for
While drifting into stubborn solitude
And puffing on infinite swallows
Of scientific smoke
That I forgot the name for
But it’s okay because
NO and NO still mean
I can’t learn this
When I read them aloud
I think I understand
Why Darwin never wrote poetry
To fit the rest of us
A Library / 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment